This is one of my favourite dishes to make as I love salmon with spicy sauces or marinades. Salmon is so elegant yet goes really well with strong flavours. With this dish I like the curry sauce to almost be like a gravy, where you can add as little or as much as you like. If you pile up your rice in the middle, you can pour the gravy around it like a moat. It creates a great looking finish to the dish.
With every curry I create a paste with, chilli, garlic, ginger and onion, only this time adding lemon grass, soy sauce, fish sauce, miso paste and the juice of a whole lime. This will smell really strong and fragrant but don’t be put off by it; when you add everything else it will balance perfectly. Separately mix the curry powder and turmeric, then add that to the oil and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on a low heat to really bring out the flavour. Then you can add your paste and cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes.
Now, when you add the stock and lime leaves you want to simmer for 20-30 mins – then it’s all about timing. Salmon, depending on what size will take around 20-30 minutes to roast.You can serve the salmon with stir fry veg or just steamed veg. I chose steamed veg which takes around 7 or 8 minutes for broccoli and sugar snaps. Rice usually takes around 15 minutes depending on the type. I also like to buy or make some spring rolls to have on the side, which is lovely to dip in that rich spicy gravy.
You can either plate it up and pour the sauce all over, or do as I said with the gravy moat. It’s entirely up to you. This dish is great for any time of year and incredibly easy. You will make this more than once, I can promise you that.
Ingredients Serves 4
- 4 salmon fillets (You can use chicken as an alternative if you don’t like fish)
- 2 lime leaves
- 800ml of vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 lemon grass, hard layer removed and roughly chopped
- Thumb size piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 1 whole white onion
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 heaped Tsp miso paste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tsp ground turmeric
- 1 heaped Tbsp medium Curry powder
- Add the garlic, chilli, onion, ginger, lemon grass to the blender then blitz. Then add the soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and miso paste and blitz further until a coarse paste.
- Add the spice to the pan on a low heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Then add the paste and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/350°F
- Add the stock and lime leaves then bring to the boil then turn the heat low and simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes.
- Add your salmon to the oven and cook accordingly, following the guidelines regarding the weight of the fish. This usually takes around 20-30 minutes.
- Timing it just right with 15 minutes left, cook the rice then steam or stir fry your veg.
- Serve with the curry sauce in a gravy boat for guests to poor on how the wish.
- Tuck in!