I love rice based dishes such as risotto or paella. Another favourite of mine is a sweet and creamy rice pudding. This recipe is not a desert but the method reminds me just of what you would do for a rice pudding! A tasty dish you can just throw in the oven and let the rice work its magic. This dish is probably closest to a risotto style in flavour, but I used paella rice as it absorbs more liquid.
The chicken goes great in this, but if you’re a vegetarian you can just add mushrooms. The tarragon and mushroom are where most of the flavour lies. Tarrogan is a beautifully fragrant herb and I find it very underrated. The added mustard gives it that little extra punch and you can really use any type of mustard you want. Pick your favorite, but bare in mind that some are far stronger than others. To serve I cooked some sweet chargrilled peppers from a jar and some fresh asparagus. That is all you need for the perfect dish.
Once you’ve prepared the chicken and rice in the pan, all you need to do is throw it in the oven for half an hour. Then finish off with some generously grated parmesan over the top and crisp back in the oven for 10 minutes.
Ingredients serves 6
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large white onion
- 250g mushrooms
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 250g paella rice
- 1L Chicken or veg stock
- 100ml double cream
- 800g chicken (optional)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/20o°C/400°F
- Add two tablespoons of oil to a pan and fry the onions on a medium heat. Soften but do not brown.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms and fry until the chicken is slightly browned, then add the garlic and tarragon.
- Tip the rice in, stirring until it is completely coated in the mixture.
- Pour in the stock and double cream, then bring to the boil
- Carefully pour into an oven proof dish, cover with foil and leave in the oven for 3o minutes.
- Remove the foil, stir well then generously grate over some Parmesan and leave in the oven for a further 10 minutes to brown the surface. Meanwhile you can cook your veg.