Quite recently I tasted halloumi with a kiwi and scotch bonnet dipping sauce and it was incredible! Having kiwi with a savoury food was a first for me, the sweet and spicy sauce goes perfectly with the salty halloumi. This got me thinking that I needed to make a salad using a similar combination. What I came up with was a halloumi and steak salad with a kiwi and chilli garlic dressing. It’s really simple to knock up and cheap if you get the right meat. A frying steak or beef skirt is perfect for this salad, just make sure that you don’t over cook it! If you’re vegetarian, simply enjoy with just the halloumi!
Ingredients serves 2
- 2 large kiwi fruit
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1 red chilli
- Frying steak / beef skirt
- 1 block of halloumi
- A bunch of your favourite salad leaves (I chose rocket, water cress and spinach)
- Finely chop the chilli and then add it to a pan with the garlic and a little oil. After a minute or two add the juice of your kiwis (you can let some of the pulp fall in) and then slightly heat through and season to taste, then place into a bowl for later. This will be your salad dressing.
- Add your seasoned steak on a high heat until cooked on the outside (flash fried). Only a couple of minutes as you do not want to over cook it.
- Cut your halloumi into thin strips and fry until golden in the same pan. No need to oil as you want to grill it in the pan rather than fry.
- Add your leaves together with the halloumi and steak, followed by the dressing and give it a good toss.
- Tuck in!