Good Friday is just around the corner and as it’s traditional to have fish why not try something a little different and extremely tasty? I made these salmon goujons and sweet potato fries on the weekend and they were amazing. Sitting in the sun with a cold beer, I was enjoying each bite as I dipped the fish into that wonderfully fragrant sweet soy dip. It was so moreish, words cannot even describe it. An alternative fish and chip supper as Easter is almost here!
Ingredients serves 4
- 60g of light brown sugar
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp cooking rice wine
- half a lime juice
- 1/2 green chilli (diced small)
- 1 large clove of garlic (crushed)
- About 1 cm cube of ginger (grated)
- middle 3rd of 1 large spring onion (chopped)
For Salmon goujons
- 100g of plain white flour
- 2 egg (whisked)
- 100g panco breadcrumbs
- 2 large salmon fillets
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- Depending on your pan, at least 200ml of cooking oil (needs to be 1cm deep before adding the goujons)
- 2 Large sweet potato (peeled and cut into fries)
- In a small saucepan, add all of the ingredients for the dip at once and stir until the sugar has dissolved and is slightly bubbling. Turn off the heat and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/400°F. Add about 4 tbsp of cooking oil to a tray and put in the oven to heat the oil.
- Boil the sweet potato fries for 5 minutes, strain them and then add to the baking tray. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the the fries are in the oven, remove the skin from your salmon fillets, and cut into bite size goujons.
- From left to right, prepare one bowl with flour (which you will season with salt pepper and the tsp of Chinese 5 spice), one bowl with the whisked egg followed by one bowl with the panco breadcrumbs.
- Dip the Salmon into the flour, then the egg and then into the panco breadcrumbs. Repeat this twice for each goujon.
- To a small pan, add enough oil to come up about 1cm. Heat on full until it sizzles when you drop in a bread crumb, then turn the heat down just above low. Add the fish goujons in batches to ensure an even cook, turning them once golden brown on the bottom to cook the other side. You can leave your batches on a wrack in the oven whilst you cook the next batch.
- Take out the fries and place them onto some kitchen roll to get rid of any excess oil. Plate it up and add the dip to a small bowl.