If you want a dish that you can whip up fast to wow your palate with incredible flavour – this is the dish! The smells are incredible, the chorizo, tomato and basil followed by that wonderful reminder of the sea from the prawns. To get a smooth silky texture to the sauce, we used egg mixed with some lovely Parmesan cheese to cover the pasta. Enjoy.
Ingredients serve 4
- 400g penne pasta
- 150g chorizo sliced thin
- 200g fresh prawns (shell off)
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1 red chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 large clove of garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 100g Parmesan cheese (plus a little extra to serve)
- salt and black cracked pepper to taste
- Chop 150 grams of the cherry tomatoes into halves and 50 grams into quarters which you will add a little later.
- Add the chorizo to a pan on a high heat and really crisp it up for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the chilli, garlic and the 150g of halved cherry tomatoes. Keep at a high heat and whiz around for a couple of minutes, then add the basil and turn down to a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Now you can cook your pasta following the packaging guidelines which should be around 10 minutes.
- When there’s 5 or so minutes left on the pasta, add the prawns to the frying pan and turn the heat to medium and keep stirring until they change in colour and are cooked through.
- Add a table spoon of the pasta water to the pan and turn the heat off. Strain the pasta which can then be added to the frying pan with the other ingredients. Whisk the eggs together with the Parmesan, add to the pan and coat the pasta evenly in everything (be careful not to let it curdle).
- Serve with a little extra Parmesan, the rest of the tomatoes and a few cheeky basil leaves!