The sun is out so something light and zesty is the perfect dessert right now. This meringue is soft and light which is just how we love it! Enjoy one or even two of these delicious meringues topped off with a zesty lime cream, lemon curd and some toasted biscuit crumbs for a little crunch.
Ingredients makes around 12
- 220g caster sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 250ml double cream
- zest of 6 limes
- 100g digestive biscuits (crushed)
- 1 jar of lemon curd
- Add the crushed biscuits to the oven for 5-10 minutes at the highest heat until really crunchy.
- Turn the oven down to gas mark 1/140°C/275°F.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric whisk until they start to become stiff.
- Add in half the sugar and beat once again, followed by the rest of the sugar and keep beating until the mixture becomes stiff and glossy.
- Line two trays with baking parchment and then carefully spoon the mixture on, leaving about an inch between each meringue. Don’t worry about making them perfect shapes but roughly the size of your palm is a good size.
- Cook for half an hour and then turn the oven to gas mark 1/2 /130°C/250°F for another half an hour.
- Whilst they cook, add the zest to your cream and whip it until it’s thick enough to stand on its own.
- Take the meringues out of the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Once they are cool, add the cream, lemon curd and a finish with the crunchy biscuit.