It’s getting colder and it’s time to start thinking about comfort food. This meal is perfect for getting the family together around the table and the blackberries add an autumn sweetness which I love with lamb. You could call this a British style Tagine!
Ingredients serves 4
- half a leg of lamb (bone in)
- 2 onions
- 1 leek
- 2 celery
- 1 large carrot
- 150g blackberries
- 1L boiling water
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to the highest setting
- Peel and roughly chop the onions, leek, celery, carrot and add to a deep roasting tray with a rack. Add a swig of oil, season and give it a good mix with your hands. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Stab 4-5 holes in the lamb leg so you can place sprigs of rosemary inside, then season. When the veg is ready, add the lamb on top of the rack over the vegetables and then tip in the boiling water.
- Turn down the heat to gas mark 3 150°C/300°F, cover the lamb with a lid or foil and roast for 4-5 hours.
- In the last hour, add the blackberries to keep them whole.
- Shred the lamb apart using a fork and then add back into the tray with the natural gravy and vegetables, ready to serve up.