A nutty mature Cheddar on mushrooms with sweet sticky red onions is a truly delightful combination for a warm salad! I finished this off with a lovely sage and walnut pesto to lift the dish entirely and toasted some favourite bread to slide underneath. Easy, light and comforting!
Ingredients serves 2
- 2 small red onions
- 8 large chestnut mushrooms
- 125ml red wine
- 2 tsp demerera sugar
- 100g mature cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of good quality bread
- Rocket to serve (optional)
For the pesto
- 50g walnut (lightly toasted)
- 4 sprigs of sage
- 50g mature cheddar cheese
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/400°F.
- Slice the mushrooms stems off and finely chop the stems which you will bake with the mushrooms for a nice crispy topping. Add the cheese on top of the mushrooms and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Slice the onions into three steak like chunks ready to add to the pan. Tip the wine and sugar into a shallow frying pan and bring to a boil. Turn the heat right down to a simmer and add the onions. Simmer for 12 minutes, turning half way through.
- For the pesto, add all the ingredients to a blender and blitz into a coarse paste. Season to taste.
- Toast your bread, then plate up with the mushrooms and onions, followed by generous dollops of pesto and a sprinkling of the crunchy mushroom bits. Serve with a little rocket on the side.