We wanted to make a hearty vegetarian meal where we didn’t need to involve any cheese or meat-like substitutes but making a kebab that still tasted a little naughty. Pure veggie power! Charred vegetables in a dry pan mixed into some amazing garlic oil with herbs and spices. Quick, easy, healthy and tastes amazing! Finish in some whole meal pitta with houmous and mint yogurt and you have yourself an indulgent kebab minus the guilt.
Ingredients Serves 2
- 2 bell peppers or 4 mini sweet peppers
- 8 spring onions
- 8-10 medium sized mushrooms
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 slices of wholemeal pitta bread
- mint yoghurt and houmous optional
For the marinade:
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 heaped tsp oregano
- 1 small red chilli (finely diced)
- 1 tbsp toasted garlic oil (alternatively 1 clove fresh garlic)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (2 if fresh garlic is used)
- Make your marinade by stirring together all the ingredients
- Wash the veg and then cut the peppers into inch and a half strips, removing the core. Cut the root tips off the spring onions and about a third off the top end. Cut the tomatoes in half and then the mushrooms into cm slices.
- Using 2 frying pans for maximum surface area, lay the veg (except for the tomatoes) evenly flat across the pans (without any oil as we want a dry heat). Once they are evenly charred on one side, turn them over and add the tomatoes skin side down.
- Once you have charred marks on either side, add all to one pan along with the marinade.
- Turn the heat up a little to allow the herbs and spices can come alive for a few minutes.
- Heat up your pittas and you’re now ready to load up your kebab. A spread of houmous and mint yogurt it recommended!