This is an ideal alternative to the usual boring left over meat on boxing day for dinner. Use up your left over turkey to make a delicious goulash, paired with some tasty bubble and squeak cakes which match it perfectly! Something to warm the soul on a cold boxing day or even a few days after Christmas, if there are any left overs by then!
Ingredients serves 4
- 200-300g left over turkey (or more if you like)
- 1 400ml tinned tomatoes
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato paste
- 400ml chicken stock
- 3 heaped tsp smoked paprika
- 2 red bell peppers (cut into strips)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 red chilli (optional)
For the bubble and squeak cakes;
- 1 kg cooked potatoes
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 200g cooked brussel sprouts
- 200g cooked carrot
- 50g butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream to serve
- Once all of your bubble and squeak ingredients are cooked, mash together and mix well. Shape into 8 burger shape patties, ready to fry later. Keep in the fridge until later.
- In a pan with some oil, sweat the onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes until soft and then add in the chilli (if you opt to use it) and bell peppers. Lightly fry all of the ingredients and then add in the smoked paprika.
- Add the chicken stock, along with the tomatoes and tomato puree. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- For the last 15 minutes, add the turkey to the goulash sauce to heat through. Use two frying pans (or fry in batches) fry the bubble and squeak cakes until crispy and golden brown on each side.
- Serve with sour cream!