We all know breakfast juice right? A mixture of grapefruit and orange which creates a delicious sweet and sharp flavour. This gave us an idea to recreate this as a curd to jazz up yoghurt or granola in the morning. The great thing about this is that it packs a big punch, so you only need about a teaspoon and you have a new dimension of flavour to lift a boring breakfast! It’s a little runnier than a standard curd, so drizzle it on like runny honey. Keep up to a week in your fridge and enjoy each morning!
Ingredients (makes about 400ml)
- Juice of 1 large grapefruit
- Juice of 2 medium oranges
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 75g unsalted butter (cubed)
- 1 egg + 4 egg yolks
- In a heat proof mixing bowl (big enough to fit over a saucepan) whisk together the honey, eggs and all of the juice.
- Heat a sauce pan of water (enough water that the bowl is not directly touching it) until boiling point and then turn it down to a simmer.
- Add the bowl containing the mixture and stir gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Using a whisk, add in each butter cube piece by piece whilst stirring, waiting for each one to melt.
- Once all the butter is melted, turn the heat up a little and whisk frequently until it becomes the consistency of runny honey.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool. Pour into a sterilised jar – this can keep up to a week in the fridge. You can even store in the freezer where it can keep well over a month and will not totally freeze solid – meaning you can just spoon it out of the jar each morning!
- Mix a little with your yoghurt or over your granola (or both) and enjoy!