Instead of a rich bechamel sauce, we used creme fraiche and to spice things up a little, we roasted the cauliflower in cajun seasoning. When you mix the macaroni cheese into the cauliflower, the spices it’s been roasting in mix with the sauce to create a heavenly indulgent dish.
Ingredients serves 4
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 300g macaroni
- 150g grated mature cheddar (+ a little extra on top)
- 300ml creme fraiche
- 100ml skimmed milk
- 3 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 heaped tsp mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 200°C/400°F.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and cut the root off, breaking it up into bite size pieces. Add the pieces to a tray with the cajun seasoning and olive oil, coating the cauliflower evenly.
- Roast for about 30 minutes, making sure you mix it up occasionally. Keep your oven on for later.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook your macaroni half way through for around 5 minutes.
- Drain the macaroni and then add back to the saucepan. Mix it together with the creme fraiche, milk, cheese and cauliflower. Season and then add to a dish ready to bake. Grate a little extra cheese on top.
- Bake at the same temperature as the cauliflower for around 10-15 minutes until the cheese on top has melted.