Blood oranges are still in season and they add an amazing flavour to this warming stew. Along with the smoked paprika, you are left with a warm, sweet and smokey stew that will give you the pick me up we are all hoping for this time of year! Eat this stew on it’s own or with the root veg and some mash potato on the side.
ingredient (Serves 3-4)
- 6 to 8 chicken thighs
- juice of 2 blood oranges
- zest of one blood orange
- 2 heaped tsp smoked paprika ( a little extra for the chicken)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 400g tinned tomatoes
- 600ml chicken stock
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 large onion (roughly chopped)
- 3 turnips (diced chunky)
- 2 large carrots (roughly chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190°C/375°F
- Season the chicken thighs with a little salt and pepper, followed by a light sprinkling of smoked paprika.
- In a large pan, sweat the onions, garlic, turnips and carrots down for 8-10 minutes on a medium to low heat with a little oil. About half way through add the paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, orange juice and zest then bring to the boil, season to taste.
- Add the chicken thighs to a deep tray and poor over the stew from the pot insuring that the thighs skin is sticking out. This will create a lovely crispy skin for later.
- Cover the tray with foil and bake for 30 minutes and then another 30 minutes with the foil off.
- Enjoy on its own or with rice or mash.