If you are bored of the usual cauliflower cheese, try this broccoli and Stilton version which adds a little extra flavour and class. After the terrible weather this week, this is the perfect winter warmer to go along side your Sunday roast. Purple sprouting broccoli is in season and has a fantastic taste. I prefer the taller stemmed broccoli for this kind of dish as you can lay them flat and poor that lovely Stilton bechamel sauce over the top.
Ingredients (serves 4-6 as a side dish)
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 50g butter
- 300ml milk
- 50g stilton (extra for on top)
- 350g purple sprouting broccoli
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/400°F.
- Part cook the broccoli for around 5 minutes by either boiling or steaming. strain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process and help you handle them in the tray.
- For the bechamel; on a medium to low heat, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the flour, a tablespoon at a time whilst whisking until it forms a roux. Stir for a few more minutes to cook the flour through.
- Add the milk slowly, making sure that you are constantly stirring. Turn the heat high and bring to the boil. Turn down straight away. whisk until it thickens and add in the Stilton. Season to taste.
- Lay the broccoli flat on a small tray and poor over the sauce. Add a little extra Stilton on top and bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden.
- Serve with your roast dinner.