Easter is here and we have the perfect Good Friday treat! Hake is a fantastic fish, which has a similar flavour to Cod and is great this time of year. New potatoes are back to their best and go great with some freshly cut chives. Finish with a little aioli and you have a posh fish and chips to get you in the mood for Easter!
ingredients (serves 2)
- 250g hake fillet (cut into 2)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 10-14 new potatoes
- 2 tsp fresh cut chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon wedge to serve
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/400°F. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a deep tray in the oven for about 5 minutes before roasting your potatoes.
- Season the flour on a plate and coat the hake fillets, cover and leave in the fridge ready to cook later.
- Cut the new potatoes in quarters and part boil for 3 minutes. When straining them, let them steam dry before adding to the hot oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and crispy.
- In a shalllow frying pan with a little oil, on a medium to high heat, fry the fish skin side down first. Once golden brown, turn and repeat. Once the skin side is up, add the butter until it has slightly darkened and baste both sides.
- Take out your new potatoes, wiping off any excess oil and garnish with the chives, salt and pepper.
- Once the fish has cooked through, serve with a lemon wedge and aioli or your favourite sauce.