This cake is made using cornmeal, with no added flour which has created this delicious gluten free treat. With the citrus lime throughout the sponge as you bite through some delicious chunky strawberries is enough to tickle anyone’s taste buds. It may take a few hours but what you are left with is a moist moreish delight! Enjoy.
Ingredients Serves 10
- 200g cornmeal
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g soft dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- zest 2 lime
- juice 1 lime
- 200g strawberrys
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 2/150°C/300°F.
- Mix the cornmeal, butter, sugar and eggs together.
- Once completely mixed, add your lime juice, zest, xanthan gum, baking powder and vanilla essence. Blitz together using an electric whisk for 2 minutes, 4 If whisking by hand. If the mixture is really stodgy, add a little splash of water.
- Roughly chop the strawberries, leaving a few spare to decorate on top. Fold in the strawberries and then add to a loaf tin lined with baking paper. Cut the rest of the strawberries in half and push slightly in on top, then cover with foil.
- Add this tin into a pot roasting tin and fill up 2 inches high with boiling water. Cover the pot roast tin using the lid or foil.
- Slow cook for 2 hours.