This dish is a summertime vegetarian treat which is surprisingly filling and full of flavour. Cornmeal is great and when used to make these fantastic grilled polenta wedges, bringing another texture to this layered dish. A mix of roasted veg, finished off by some chilli and lemon dressed courgette, and crumbled baked ricotta. What more could you want?
Ingredients Serves 4-6
- 250g ricotta
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 3 medium red onions
- 300g mixed baby tomatoes
- 300g mushrooms
For the courgettes:
- 2 large courgettes
- 3 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 red chilli (finely chopped)
For the polenta wedges:
- 200g quick polenta (finely ground cornmeal)
- 2 L water
- 1 large garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 medium onion (finely diced)
- 2 sprigs of rosemary (remove stalks, finely chop leaves)
- Using a deep non-stick frying pan (or saucepan), gently fry the onion and garlic on a low heat until soft using about a tablespoon of oil. Now add the rosemary and give it and give it a stir. Add the water and bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer.
- Gently sift in the polenta whilst constantly stirring until it has thickened. Cook for a further 5 minutes or so and then stir in the cheese.
- Add to a grease proofed tray big enough to make the polenta about 2 centre metres high. Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes until firm.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/400°F.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and red onion and add to a tray with a little oil and seasoning. Make a well in the middle and gently tip the ricotta in the centre leaving it whole. Cut the garlic and rosemary and stick in into different parts of the ricotta.
- On a separate tray, season the mushrooms and drizzle a little oil over each one. Bake both for 20 minutes.
- Whilst your veggies are cooking, make your courgette ribbons simply by using a peeler, carefully running it from top to bottom, switching sides when it reaches the core. Mix with the chilli, lemon zest, juice and extra virgin olive oil
- Cut your polenta into 4 squares and then across into triangles (wedges).
- Using a griddle pan (frying pan will work) on a high heat with a little oil, heat your wedges up for 4 minutes on each side.
- Break up the ricotta and serve with the veg and polenta wedges.