This time of year basil is at its best, although available all year round, it still brings that summery note to your palate. These pesto chicken goujons are a fantastic snack, easy to assemble and packed with flavour. Enjoy with fries or on their own with the lovely extra virgin olive oil mayonnaise.
Ingredients makes 8-10 goujons
- 1 large chicken breast
- 50g pine nuts (slightly toasted)
- 50g panko breadcrumbs
- 25g parmesan cheese
- 20 large basil leaves
- 20g plain flour
- 1 large egg (whisked)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the mayonnaise dip (optional):
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/400°F.
- Blitz together the parmesan, pine nuts and basil into a coarse paste.
- Mix the paste with the panko breadcrumbs (do not blitz the breadcrumbs).
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and then from right to left, dip the chicken goujons in the flour, then the egg mixture and finally the pesto crumb mixture, coating the chicken as well as you can.
- Line a tray with baking parchment and smear about a teaspoon of oil all over. Place the goujons on the tray and drizzle each one with a little oil. Bake for 16-18 minutes until cooked through and crispy on the outside.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks together and then carefully drizzle the olive oil whilst continually whisking. Make sure the bowl is sturdy as you really need to whisk hard to avoid the mayo splitting. You could always use an electric whisk or get someone to drizzle the oil in for you. Add the lemon juice, season and set aside for the goujons.