For the up and coming week of pie, we have created this veggie surprise! Inspired by a shepherds pie but with a very different set of ingredients. Inside you have a wonderfully spiced lentil filling with onions, carrots and celery to give a classic wholesome flavour. To balance the spice out, you have a sweet potato and earthy beetroot mash, mixed with a creamy goats cheese. What more can you ask for when seeking comfort?
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 300g sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 150g beetroot (diced)
- 75g goats cheese (save a little extra for on top)
- 1 stick of celery (finely diced)
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 50g carrot (finely diced)
- 1 clove garlic (finely diced)
- 1 heaped tsp of finely diced ginger
- 1 ½ tsp medium curry powder
- 1 400g tinned lentils
- 1 heaped tsp marmite/yeast extract
- 150ml water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On a medium heat with about a tablespoon of oil, gently sweat the onions, carrots and celery off.
- When the onions are soft, add in the garlic and ginger and turn the heat up slightly to give them a bit of colour. Stir in your curry powder and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add your lentils, marmite and water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and then take it off the heat and leave the filling to cool.
- Boil the sweet potatoes in a saucepan until soft and then strain and tip back into the saucepan with the beetroot and goats cheese and mash until smooth (a hand blender is best). Season to taste. Leave the potatoes to slightly cool and then it’s time to build the pie.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6/200℃/400℉. Add the filling and then top off with the mash into your pie dishes.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until piping hot. Add on the extra goats cheese half way through.
- Tuck in!